Chairman -ITC Limited
An alumnus of the IIT, Delhi and Harvard Business School, Y C Deveshwar joined ITC in 1968. He was appointed as a Director on the Board of the Company in 1984 and became the Chief Executive and Chairman of the Board.
He shaped and implemented a strategy of organisation to enable the Company derive unique sources of competitive advantage from its diverse businesses leveraging the unique enterprise strengths of the organisation. Deveshwar has championed the cause for sustainability world-wide bringing into focus the need to innovate corporate strategies that not only enhance shareholder value but add significantly to the development of natural and social capital.
Spearheading a journey of growth that has led the Harvard Business Review to rank him as the 7th Best Performing CEO in the world. His stewardship has guided ITC to become India’s foremost FMCG marketer. The Company’s businesses generate livelihoods for around 6 million people, many of whom represent the poorest in Rural India.
1. Deveshwar is a Director on the Central Board of the Reserve Bank of India.
2. Under his leadership, an abiding vision was crafted to serve larger national priorities, powering a strategy to make ITC an engine of growth for the national economy through multiple drivers of growth.
3. Deveshwar was conferred the Padma Bhushan, one of the highest civilian awards in the country by the Government of India.
4. The Economic Times has conferred on Deveshwar, the Indian Visionary Business Leader Award.
5. The farmer empowerment initiative, ITC e-Choupal, is the world’s largest rural digital infrastructure.