Since the inception of Nilai University in 1997, Tengku Shamsul has been at the helm of it. Having been a witness to the entire life journey of this venture he happens to be the apt name that should become the spearhead. He has seen Nilai UC grow and attain university college status in the year 2007 and the student numbers steadily increase with each passing year. With over 40 years in academia, Tengku Shamsul is a man who has a clear vision of how a tertiary education institution should be run and the principles that should guide its policies. His involvement in academia and academic administration began when he became a lecturer in 1964, before becoming head of Department and then in 1975 the Dean of University Malaya’s Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. He was again Dean from 1983-1988.
The objective of education has always been to produce successful individuals who are assets to their families and community at large and thanks to Tengku Shamsul, this will continue to be the objective, but in his opinion the manner in which the education system provides for this has to change. If one was to ask his opinion, he would state, “My wish is to see that the changes keep pace with the needs of our future generations. Ultimately, we must have an education system that is capable of continuously adapting to the changes necessary to produce graduates who are knowledgeable, broad minded, witty and possessing of a healthy sense of humour.“
KEY ATTRIBUTES THAT MAKE HIM A LEADER
- His deep respect for education makes him naturally adaptive to this business design.
- He is a visionary who has neatly drawn protocols making it very easy for people working around him to channel their energies correctly.
- The experience he carries along with him enables him to look past short term obstacles.
- Most talk about change, only few have it in them to make it happen and Tengku Shamsul surely makes it to that list.
- His sheer dedication acts as the very roots of motivation for everyone around him.