Whatever the human mind can conceive and believe it can achieve. It is easy to dream and most people do so – however, it takes courage to begin, dogged pursuit of your dream with unwavering determination and strength of character that shall not be uprooted even under the most violent setbacks to achieve those dreams. Very few people have these traits and such people make this world more special merely by being in it – showing by example to millions as to what is possible. G.L. Jain and S.K. Jain are two such leaders. G.L. Jain making an humble beginning around 1982 with a capital of INR 90,000 (USD $ 1666), a dream and a ton of enthusiasm and S.K. Jain, the managing director, building upon that initial dream.
Both these people are multi-faceted real world achievers; people of simple tastes, few words and long hours, people who refuse to yield to circumstances. Following these ideas, S.K. Jain has created a whole empire with interests in healthcare, hospitality and FMCG. He is also the man behind Chocon, a true David Vs Goliath story in the making. If G.L. Jain made the beginning, S.K. Jain nourished that seed with his vision, hardwork and unrelaxing vigilance. The result – he has under his belt today a 130-bedded multi-specialty hospital affiliated with Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, one of the most reputed hospitals in India, a 4-star standard hotel, a bouquet of commercial properties leased out to premium national and multinational businesses and an array of 100% vegetarian confectionery products ranging from hard boiled and soft boiled confectionery items, fruitjels to 100% vegetarian Choco bars. Last year the company sold 370 million pieces of Milk-N-Nut, an ethnic sweet, 147 million pieces of jelly cups and 26.2 million pieces of Choco bars.
KEY ATTRIBUTES THAT MAKE HIM A LEADER
- His passion for innovation makes him keep looking for ideas that will really make this world a better place to live.
- His commitment to come out with products for the masses keeps driving him to keep costs low.
- His religious bent of mind rooted in the philosophy of “live and let live” keeps him driving for maximization of value creation.
- His simple tastes and principle-centered leadership makes him attract top talent and retain it.
- His belief that business takes courage and patience makes him put in sustained efforts patiently for years and makes him a formidable leader.