Time makes us grow old; it is the acceptance of responsibility that makes one grow up in life. Prateek Gupta is one such name in the world market platform. Today as the Vice Chairman of Ushdev International Ltd, this man has turned the tide for his organisation from the day he joined. Initially an apprentice under his father, he was nurtured by following the principle of practicality. He began his career with UIL in 1996 as a trainee, moving positions, doing everything that was required while learning the business. With his ambition back then, to impress his father, his zeal transformed him from a man who seldom asked ‘why not?’ to a man who today asks, ‘why?’ – The perfect embodiment of the new India entrepreneurial spirit. His business acumen can be judged from a whooping statistic – between 1997 and 2013, the time during which he led the change in UIL’s business model and the company grew about 1500 times. His genius was proven in 1997, when, within a year of training he became a key member in completing a wind power project of 11 wind mills in Tamil Nadu in an unbelievable record time of 67 days. His concrete belief which states that to achieve great heights he would need an endless support in terms of key skills, knowledge and general awareness has today made him a leader which not only promises a bright future for his organizational family, but has also enabled him to envisage greater challenges and also accumulate a vast pool of talent. What makes all this even more vital is his ability to interact with the entire team at a personal level, making it a success worth their time.
KEY ATTRIBUTES THAT MAKE HIM A LEADER
- It was his deliberate steps in making this business succeed which led them to the prestigious list of Forbes Asia as the best under a billion dollar company in the year 2010.
- His expertise also led him to the Bombay Chamber of Commerce and Industry as the co-chairman of their high profile Power and Energy Conservation Committee in 2005.
- It was his ability to envision growth that their resence in the international markets was acknowledged. UIL was awarded as the ‘Best Trader-Exporter (Large) at the ECGC- D&B Indian Exporters’ Excellence Awards in the year 2012.
- Post FY 2009, his acumen helped diversify the business into the trading of non-ferrous metals. As a result of the slow-down in the steel industry, this diversification fetched higher trading margins, which has helped UIL maintain EBIDTA margins in spite of drop in margins of ferrous flat products. This strategic change led to 100% growth in sales and UIL was ranked 6th by Business India magazine in their December 2009 issue.
- As an initiative from 2005 until 2013, the group under his leadership has led the charge of setting up to a total installed capacity of 95 MW in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Gujarat, Maharashtra & Rajasthan. These projects have been awarded as the best performing wind farms in the 2 MW categories by the Indian Wind Power Association for several years in a row.