O. P. Puranmalka is the Whole-Time Director of UltraTech Cement Limited and leads the Aditya Birla Group’s cement business. He provides strategic direction to the business and oversees the setting up of new plants, and exploring global opportunities for mergers and acquisitions. Puranmalka’s entrepreneurial abilities and deep knowledge of the cement business have guided UltraTech’s foray into areas such as ready mix concrete, building materials and solutions and unique white cement products leading UltraTech to being positioned as an end-to-end solutions provider for the construction industry. He is also a Director of the Aditya Birla Management Corporation Private Limited, the Aditya Birla Group’s apex decisionmaking body that provides strategic direction to the various companies in its fold. Previously, Puranmalka was a Group Executive President at Grasim Industries, where he was in charge of the marketing operations of the company’s cement business at an all-India level. Following Grasim’s acquisition of L&T’s cement division, which was later christened UltraTech Cement Limited, Puranmalka took over the marketing responsibility of the combined entity and all of the Group’s cement business. Under his leadership, all the cement brands of the Aditya Birla Group were consolidated under one name, thereby making UltraTech Cement, India’s largest cement brand. A chartered accountant by qualification, Puranmalka has been with the Group for over three decades.
Puranmalka is also the Vice President of the Cement Manufacturers’ Association, the apex body of cement manufacturers in India in the private and public sector.
KEY ATTRIBUTES THAT MAKE HIM A LEADER
- Has a strong vision for brand “UltraTech”. He has charted a definite path for UltraTech which includes the company’s foray into Global markets.
- Strategically planned the organic growth and acquisitions leading UltraTech to the leadership position in India. One of the key acquisitions is “Star Cement “in UAE.
- Executed the brand transition from L&T to UltraTech smoothly leveraging all strengths of Birla Plus, L&T and UltraTech.
- Ventured into cement based value added products and retail format thus paving the way for UltraTech to be a 360 degrees building material destination.
- Deeply involved in the well being of employees. Is a great motivator and has launched various programs for employee motivation. He is instrumental in instituting an annual event for all employees of UltraTech called “Galaxy” which brings together people from various functions across the country.