Chairman – Marico Ltd
Transforming a traditional commodity based business into a consumer product and service industry, Harsh C. Mariwala, Founder Chairman of Marico Limited, led his company to great heights over the last three decades and made his brand presence felt in over 25 countries across the globe.
The company’s products and services in the beauty and wellness space have produced brands such as Parachute, Saffola, Hair and Care, Nihar, Shanti, Mediker, Revive, HairCode and Kaya popular in every household.
1. From a turnover of Rs 50 lakh in 1971, the company under the leadership of Mariwala generated a turnover of about Rs. 4596 crores during 2012-13.
2. With Kaya, Marico identified a gap and huge potential in the wellness and beauty sector in India and launched into this skincare segment.
3. Mariwala’s leadership and passion to excel has lead the company to vouch for the fact that one out of every four Indians is a Marico consumer.
4. Marico has achieved several awards and external recognition – over 100 in number of the last few years. Each of Marico’s three businesses, consumer products in India, International Business and Kaya has received awards in all functions across the value chain.
5. Harsh Mariwala was conferred with the Ernst & Young ‘Entrepreneur of the Year’ Award (2009) in the Manufacturing category, ‘Talent Management Award’ at the CNBC India Business Leader Award (2009), the ‘Teacher’s Achievement Award in Business’ (2006) and the ‘CEO with HR Orientation’ – Global Excellence HR Award (2007) by the Asia Pacific HRM Congress. (Annexure1).
6. Harsh Mariwala’s entrepreneurial drive and passion for Innovation, enthused him to establish the Marico Innovation Foundation in 2003.