MANAGING Director – The Garuda Group
At times, mere coincidence becomes luck. Dr. Uday wanted to open an office when his peer group suggested him to think out of the box and set up a shopping mall in Bangalore. Rest is history! Dr. Uday changed the face of the city and brought in a new way of shopping. The concept was simple – one stop shop solution for shopaholics.
Dr. Uday, a graduate in electronics engineering from Bangalore University, is a first generation Entrepreneur. After completing his engineering, he commenced his business with a small advertising agency and shortly, he started a marketing agency and was selling markers and hosier. Later, he also had a small stint in the granite and leather manufacturing industry. In 1993, as a young and passionate entrepreneur with extraordinary marketing skills he forayed into real estate, he developed layouts for employees of various government institutions; he developed around 1100 acres of land in and around Bangalore city.
He pioneered the development of shopping centers in Karnataka. The Garuda Group, as it is now called, has three ISO certified shopping malls out of which two are in Bangalore and one in Mysore. He is also one of the pioneers of successful Public Private Partnerships [PPP] in the state.
Dr. Uday’s company has also forayed into affordable housing and the wellness industry. The group is currently constructing houses for the economically weaker sections of the society in Seegahalli, K.R. Puram for the Karnataka slum board. His dream is to see that his city, his state develops and prospers like any of the developed nations of the world.
1. He contributes a portion of his profit to his Foundation, Garuda, a nonprofit organization for the welfare of economically weaker sections of society, especially women and children.
2. He started Fast Track Construction Company and executing orders of Rs.200 crores for Govt. based on growth percentage and Karnataka.
3. He is also involved in the Wellness Industry business. The first unit Vriddhi was very successful having more than 1500 members.
4. He partnered with the government in PPP model to develop houses for economically weaker sections and commercial space of 20 lakhs sq.ft. in Koramangala, Bangalore.
5. Despite all hardships, he kept on moving following his ideology, “Karma Parmo Dharma”.