Someone who has spent his entire life in order to create a better and more secure tomorrow for people across the face of the earth is someone who is ought to be held in highest of regards. Prathap C. Reddy, a compassionate humanitarian, dedicated to bringing world-class healthcare within the economic and geographic reach of millions of patients, is the Chairman of one of the world’s most respected names when it comes to hospitals, irrespective of their geographical coordinates, Apollo Hospitals. Nominated by Business India as one of the Top Fifty personalities who have made a difference to the country in the fifty years since Independence, Dr. Reddy has transformed the way the whole country looks at healthcare. Starting from a 150-bedded Hospital in 1983, the Group has continuously excelled and maintained leadership in medical innovation, clinical services and cutting edge research.
With a capacity of over 8500 beds across 50 hospitals at culturally diverse locations in India and overseas, over 4000 top class clinicians and a total employee strength of more than 65,000 professionals, the Apollo Hospitals Group is one of the largest hospital groups in the world and has been consistently ranked amongst the best hospitals for advanced medical services. These hospitals have served over 26 million patients from 120 countries, with seven of the hospitals having the prestigious JCI accreditation. His contributions to the emergence of the private healthcare sector and his role in bringing about several regulatory changes relating to licensing, import restrictions, organ transplantation, etc won him the Padma Bhushan Award in 1991. A recipient for the Lifetime Achievement award from Rotary International and also from the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) and the Association of Surgeons of India, Dr. Reddy has created a room for himself and remains a force to reckon with in times to come.
KEY ATTRIBUTES THAT MAKE HIM A LEADER
- 1991: Awarded the Padma Bhushan for his contribution to the emergence of the private healthcare sector and his role in bringing about several regulatory changes.
- The Government of India honoured the pioneering spirit of the Apollo Hospitals Group with the release of a postage stamp in November 2009.
- His huge network reflects the kind of trust he has garnered over all these years of service to the society.
- A compassionate humanitarian, dedicated to bringing world-class healthcare within the economic and geographic reach of millions of patients’ best describes Dr. Prathap C Reddy.
- He was also awarded the Alexandria – Frost & Sullivan 2010 India Excellence Lifetime Achievement Award.