“It’s often the case that by the time medical workers break into the door, it’s already too late,” Yang Shixiong, the director of an emergency medical center in Nanning, the capital of Guangxi, told China National Radio. “Every winter there are many reports like this, but every year it’s the same, and there’s no clear improvement.”
The reports did not say how the death rate this winter compared with previous ones.
But some medical experts in Guangxi suggested that the carbon monoxide deaths reflected growing use of poorly installed gas heaters, as well as an unusually long and sharp cold spell across the region. Too many residents turned on faulty heaters and then shut windows and doors to keep in the warmth, trapping in the gas, they said.
Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintended carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. China does not release similar nationwide estimates, but the number is likely to be much higher.
The reports of poisonings in Guangxi gave examples of whole families overcome by carbon monoxide. In the city of Liuzhou, ambulance workers found a family of three on Wednesday that had apparently killed by the gas — the mother in the bathroom, the father in a bedroom doorway and their daughter on a bed, the official Guangxi news service reported. In another city, a father and his 2-year-old son died in the shower.
Officials have scolded residents for using shoddy water heaters that lack fans and piping to expel carbon monoxide. News reports said that such heaters were widely available despite attempts to ban them, especially in poorer areas where migrant workers live.