Armed with a degree in clinical pharmacy, Dr. Bavaguthu Raghuram Shetty or Dr B R Shetty as he is popularly known, set foot on the desert land of UAE in 1973. Forty years later, he is the Founder and CEO of NMC Healthcare, UAE’s largest private healthcare provider, and Managing Director and CEO of UAE Exchange, world’s most trusted money transferer, and the creator of brands which are pioneers in the private healthcare and financial retail sectors respectively. Diversifying into various industries along the years including pharmaceuticals manufacturing, distribution, food and beverages as well as hospitality, all of Dr. Shetty’s businesses are driven by the motto of offering the best and most sincere services to their customers.
Starting with modest beginnings, Dr. Shetty has gained success not only in the professional realms but also in his personal pursuits. Dr. Shetty’s philosophy in business and life is to be honest in efforts and work only towards achieving goals and not worry about the returns. Looking at his own journey as an example, there is nothing that the human will cannot achieve. He believes that if one determined and diligent in his or her efforts, success will come on its own.
Taking his ambitious spirit to a newer level, NMC Healthcare is the first healthcare company from the GCC and the first Abu Dhabi company to be listed on the premium segment of the London Stock Exchange in April 2012 and is part of the FTSE-250 index with revenues of $490 million in 2012. NMC Healthcare manages and operates eight healthcare facilities in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Al Ain, Sharjah and Umm Al Quwain, with three upcoming facilities in the offing. Providing best-in-class financial retail offerings to people around the world, UAE Exchange has operations spread across five continents with a strong network of over 677 branches in 30 countries.
KEY ATTRIBUTES THAT MAKE HIM A LEADER
• His mission to serve the community is brought forth through his businesses, as they are centred on making cost-effective top-line products and services, accessible to one and all. Dr. Shetty is enthused by the dictum that the real secret of happiness is not in what you have or what you receive but in what you share.
• His focused approach, unflagging enthusiasm and sincere efforts have made more and more people believe in him and his vision for the future. His ability to spot potential and take decisive actions to turn his plans into reality has made him an inspirational figure for many.
• To initiate private healthcare at a time when healthcare industry was still at a nascent stage, was no easy feat. Dr. Shetty was committed to provide better healthcare services to the people and went ahead with his intuition while overcoming the initial hurdles that came his way, and turned them into stepping stones towards his success.
• Dr. Shetty’s style of leading from the front and encouraging his people to grow with him and delegating authority to take responsible decisions has earned him great respect and admiration from his employees and peers.
• He has been presented with various awards and accolades including being the first recipient of the prestigious ‘Order of Abu Dhabi’, the highest civilian award by the Govt. of Abu Dhabi in 2005 and the ‘Padmashri’ by the Govt. of India in 2009 as well as the Pravasi Bhartiya Samman Award by Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam on behalf of the Govt. of India in 2007. These awards serve as badges of honour and speak volumes about his industrial excellence and legendary foresight.