Instrumental in the establishment of The Joint Apparel Association Forum (JAAF) – the apex body of the apparel industry primarily involved in driving strategy for the industry, which he chaired at its inception, Ashroff Omar, the Chief Executive Officer of Brandix Lanka Ltd. is also the former Chairman of the Sri Lanka Apparel Exporters Association and a frequent spokesperson for the apparel industry.
He is a leading industrialist and a prominent figure in the apparel industry and serves as a Non-Executive Director on the Board of John Keells Hold¬ings PLC, Director of the Sri Lanka Institute of Nanotechnology (SLINTEC), Board of Directors of the United States-Sri Lanka Fulbright Commission and Chairman of the Advisory Committee on Garments – Export Devel¬opment Board (EDB). He also serves as the Hon. Consul General of the Republic of Finland.
Being the one who has understood how in the past 30 to 40 years the apparels industry’s costs have risen whilw the product has somehow remained constant, he has shown awareness of things could always improve, even if its effects are not apparent at first – with the apparel sup¬ply chain being a case in point. His acumen and vigilant outlook makes him an inspiration for a lot of people who envision greatness in their lives.
KEY ATTRIBUTES THAT MAKE HIM A LEADER
- His know-how about the industry helps the organization steer in the right direction.
- He became the key drivers of Sri Lanka’s Garments Without Guilt campaign, launched in 2006 and now involving 135 of the country’s 200 garment factories.
- His astute mind helps in keeping ambiguity out of desk. In case of retailers he took a stance saying that as retailers have spread their sourcing across multiple countries to chase cheap labour and trade agreements, their supply chains have become more fragmented and require more monitoring.
- As a visionary he has embedded the same care and concern into the hearts of his people,
- His concern for the society is well received and that particularly is one thing that sets him apart from the masses.