Adel Ali, a man who doesn’t like flying, in fact, who doesn’t like travelling at all, an attitude that is strange enough for a leading business figure in this day and age, but considering Mr Ali’s life’s work has been to launch and successfully run Air Arabia, the Middle East’s first budget airline, it is downright peculiar. He was awarded world’s Low Cost Airline “CEO of the year” 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 and has been given credit for setting up the Middle East and North Africa’s first low-cost carrier (LCC), Air Arabia. Adel has brought over 28 years of strategic aviation, tourism and marketing experience to Air Arabia since the company commenced operations in October 2003. His distinctive leadership style, vision, skilful management combined with his charisma, makes him an inspiration to his team and made Air Arabia the world’s best low-cost carrier (LCC) in 2009.
Adel previously served as Vice President (Commercial and Customer Service) for Gulf Air, where he played a central role in the airline’s recovery. Before that, he spent over 20 years with British Airways where he also held senior management positions, including General Manager (Middle East and Africa). In addition, Adel has served as a Director and a Senior Board Member for a number of companies in the Middle East and Europe. He has been recognised within the industry as a Middle East airline expert and has received awards for his contribution to air transport and tourism in the Middle East and Africa.
KEY ATTRIBUTES THAT MAKE HIM A LEADER
- Adel’s innovative and globally recognised achievements include creating a successful low-cost business model in the Middle East customised as per the region’s needs, making Air Arabia the Arab World’s largest airline by market value.
- Adel drove Air Arabia’s growth to become the largest low-cost carrier in the Middle East as well as the first publicly owned airline in the Arab World within a span of only seven years.
- Adel also sits on the board and management of Air Arabia (Maroc), based in Casablanca Mohamed V airport serving as Air Arabia’s second hub and Air Arabia (Egypt), based in Alexandria Burj Al Arab Airport serving as Air Arabia’s third hub.
- In 2007 and 2009 Adel has been awarded the ‘Airline CEO of the year’ by Aviation Business Magazine.
- He was named world’s best LCC CEO during the World LCC Congress 2008. Adel is also the Chairman of Sharjah Information Systems Associates (ISA) and Alpha Sharjah catering.