Friday, August 2018
Now Reading:
‘Feel free to retweet’: Congress to Sushma Swaraj after new poll – Times of India
Full Article 2 minutes read

‘Feel free to retweet’: Congress to Sushma Swaraj after new poll – Times of India

NEW DELHI: The Congress on Thursday attempted to make “explicitly clear” external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj‘s “biggest failure” through a Twitter poll.

The new poll on Swaraj – created Wednesday – asked people to vote for what they feel was the minister’s biggest failure – the “39 Indians killed in Iraq” or the “unresolved Doklam dispute”.

While 57 per cent of the 11,418 people who participated voted for the first option, the rest – 43 per cent – voted for the second.

The Congress ensured that it worded this question better than it did the last, as by its own admission “many people didn’t quite get the previous poll.”

Instead, last time around, Swaraj herself retweeted the poll that asked Twitter about her “biggest failure as foreign minister”.

The question: “Do you think the death of 39 Indians in Iraq is Sushma Swaraj’s biggest failure as Foreign Minister? Yes or No”

Close to 34,000 people, voted and 76 percent of them voted “No”. That is, 76 percent of respondents didn’t believe the death of 39 Indians taken hostage in Iraq in 2014 was Swaraj’s biggest failure as foreign minister.

While the respondents could have had some other “failure” in mind, or perhaps didn’t believe she had failed at all, they certainly showed Swaraj in a positive light.

It could also be the reason that spurred her to retweet an Opposition poll on her abilities.

The Congress party’s social media head Divya Spandana, however, blamed the Swaraj poll failure on “bots”.

Input your search keywords and press Enter.