Here are some of the top quotes from his address at the party’s plenary:
* Thousands of years ago, there was a great battle on the field of Kurukshetra. Like the Kauravas, the BJP and the RSS are designed to fight for power. Like the Pandavas, the Congress is designed to fight for truth.
* The people of this country will accept a lying BJP leadership, drunk with power, because they know that is what the BJP is designed for. But the people will never accept the same from the Congress.
* India expects more from the Congress because it holds us to a higher standard than any other party.
* The people will accept a man accused of murder as the president of the BJP, but they will never accept the same in the Congress.
* BJP is the voice of an organisation. Congress is the voice of a nation.
* In the last few years of our last government, we did not stand up to the expectations of the people of our country. The people of India felt let down by us.
* India will punish us if we do nothing but make a grab for power.
* We have to change the Congress. There is a wall between our leaders and workers. My first task will be to break that wall. I will consult senior leaders to destroy that wall with love.
* No one can silence us from speaking the truth.
* The name ‘Modi’ symbolises the collusion between India’s biggest crony capitalists and the Prime Minister of India.
* If you are poor, your only choice is to become a farmer, labourer, etc. You are destined to live in ‘Modi’s maya’ – an imaginary world of ‘acche din’, Swachh Bharat, Rs 15 lakh in your bank account.
* We were the fastest growing economy in the world. But today millions of youth face unemployment.
* The Prime Minister diverts our attention and jumps from one event to another, from ‘Gabbar Singh Tax’ to yoga.
* They tell the Muslims of India, who never went to Pakistan, and supported this great nation, you don’t belong here. They tell Tamils, change your beautiful language, they tell people of northeast we don’t like what you eat, they tell women to dress properly.
* Today the corrupt and powerful completely control the conversation in our country.
* Education is not just for the elite. The right to education belongs to every youngster, every religion, every class.
* There are not enough IIMs and IITs. We will spread higher education to every corner of India.
* To every youngster in India, we are your instrument. The Congress party belongs to you. We want to open our doors to your talent, your bravery and your energy. This country is struggling and it needs you.
* We paid Rs 570 crore per plane and PM Modi paid Rs 1670 crore for the same plane. He paid Rs 1100 crore more per plane. Forget fighter planes, you can’t trust such a man to buy vegetables.
* The Congress will take the country forward, but we are humans, we make mistakes. PM Modi thinks he is not human but an incarnation of God.
( With inputs from agencies)